Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How quickly ideas die - NYCGameTrade

Yes. I'm blogging about another blog. Yes. it was a big failure. No. there were no lessons learned.



I wrote a Google App Engine service that would poll a twitter account, see if anyone twittered anything with #ps3 or #xbox tags at the account, and re-tweet the request. The blog details some of my attempts to woo an audience such as posting to CL news ( useless ), posting to as a CL ad ( deleted ), posting to meetup ( ignored ). 

Why would I bother with this ? have you not seen this: http://ggodik.blogspot.com/search/label/games . Most of what I do is trade games on CraigsList, play em, and swap-em-out again. Rinse. Repeat.

Why did I do this ? honestly, just to try out Google App Engine, code in Eclipse again, and to screw around with Twitter. I have
  • downloaded every twitter python api library and determined they're mostly garbage
  • messed around with Google App Engine to discover how awesome Google did at hosting application. And they keep releasing features! And the whole thing works!
  • to fail miserably at something web2.0ish

Will this deter me ? Probably now. I think I'm going to make my system generate DM message spam. Should it deter me ? Probably.

No comments: